Business Communication –Online Program
Offered by: StraighterLine
College credits: 3
Course length: Self-paced, 8 weeks
NEXT COURSE STARTS ON May 1, 2018
Online Business Communication is a practical course that examines principles of communication in the workplace. It introduces you to common formats, such as the memo, letter, and report. It helps you review your writing skills to gain greater mastery of grammar, mechanics, and style. More importantly, it introduces you to the strategies successful business professionals employ for a variety of situations. You are exposed to techniques for writing informational, persuasive, sales, employment, good news, and bad news communications. You gain information on internal and external communication situations, with practice in audience analysis.You also gain information on the technological tools available to business communicators today. You are introduced to the exciting communication possibilities offered by personal computers, cell phones, videoconferencing, desktop publishing, and other cutting edge technology.
- Demonstrate with an example the importance of communication to business.
- Using audience analysis adapt a message to the audience.
- Write business messages and documents with clarity and precision.
- Use the you-viewpoint and positive language in writing to build goodwill.
- Organize and write clear business e-mails and letters.
- Write positive messages that are well-structured and direct.
- Compose tactful and courteous negative messages.
- Use persuasive strategies to compose a variety of persuasive messages.
- Show how to research and organize information in a report.
- Organize and write a short report or a proposal.
- Prepare a well-structured, long, formal report.
- Create different kinds of textual and visual graphics and apply the guidelines of page designing to a report.
- Prepare and organize an effective formal presentation.
- Describe what one can do to effectively communicate across cultures.
CurriculumView syllabus / course list
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
ScheduleView syllabus / course list
Frequently Asked Questions
What is StraighterLine?
StraighterLine is an educational provider that offers online higher education courses that are equivalent to general courses required for bachelor’s degrees. Their courses have been evaluated by American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) and have been recommended for college credit. They have partnerships with a number of accredited colleges and universities.
What is the application process like?
Your advisor will be in contact throughout the process to help you complete the application, as well as answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, here is a general outline of what to expect:
- Apply to this offering.
- Complete the SmarterMeasure assessment related to your online learning style.
- In certain cases, you will need to submit your unofficial transcripts to Guild.
What does a self-paced course mean?
You can take a course 100% online at your own speed, in the comfort of your own home. You can take the course exam whenever you are ready. If you dedicate 17 to 20 hours per week to a course, this should allow you to finish a course within a single month.
Tell me more about Guild Education.
Guild Education partners with employers to offer a variety of online classes, programs, and degrees from top-ranked universities that you can complete while working.
You will get support from a Guild advisor, who will help you find the right program, navigate the financial aid process, and provide you with personal college and career advising to help you navigate the college process from day one to graduation.
To give employees a variety of options, Guild partners with a consortium of universities and learning providers, including Brandman University, Western Governors University, Bellevue University, and StraighterLine, in addition to offering custom content.
Benefits of partnering with Guild include:
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
What are Guild's guiding principles?
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.