Introduction to Business –Online Program
Offered by: StraighterLine
College credits: 3
Course length: 8 Weeks
NEXT COURSE STARTS ON May 1, 2018
Introduction to Business explores the concepts, principles, and operations of the private enterprise system. Students compare and contrast sole proprietorships, partnerships, and corporations, and they learn the advantages and disadvantages of each. This course also discusses the functions of modern business management, marketing, and ethics and social responsibility. Human resource management is described as well as how employers can motivate their employees. Bookkeeping, accounting, financial management, and financial statements are also examined.
- Exhibit an understanding of the concepts, principles, and operation of the private enterprise system.
- Evaluate and contrast major economic systems in businesses throughout the world.
- Describe the various legal forms of business ownership such as sole proprietorship, partnership and corporation, the nature of each, the processes involved in creating each and the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Identify the functions of modern management in business organizations and how these functions are evolving in response to changes in the external and internal environments in technology, diversity, competition and governmental regulations.
- Exhibit an understanding of the marketing function and describe the concepts and processes involved in designing product strategy, promotional strategy, distribution strategy, and pricing strategy.
- Explain the importance of and the role of the financial management function and illustrate the concepts and processes involved in managing the acquisition and allocation of short- and long-term funds.
- Describe the risk management functions and explain the concepts, processes and strategies involved in managing risk in a business.
- Demonstrate the importance of business ethics and social responsibility to the long-term success of businesses and society's well being.
CurriculumView syllabus / course list
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
ScheduleView syllabus / course list
Frequently Asked Questions
What is StraighterLine?
StraighterLine is an educational provider that offers online higher education courses that are equivalent to general courses required for bachelor’s degrees. Their courses have been evaluated by American Council on Education’s College Credit Recommendation Service (ACE CREDIT) and have been recommended for college credit. They have partnerships with a number of accredited colleges and universities.
What is the application process like?
Your advisor will be in contact throughout the process to help you complete the application, as well as answer any questions you may have. In the meantime, here is a general outline of what to expect:
- Apply to this offering.
- Complete the SmarterMeasure assessment related to your online learning style.
- In certain cases, you will need to submit your unofficial transcripts to Guild.
What does a self-paced course mean?
You can take a course 100% online at your own speed, in the comfort of your own home. You can take the course exam whenever you are ready. If you dedicate 17 to 20 hours per week to a course, this should allow you to finish a course within a single month.
Tell me more about Guild Education.
Guild Education partners with employers to offer a variety of online classes, programs, and degrees from top-ranked universities that you can complete while working.
You will get support from a Guild advisor, who will help you find the right program, navigate the financial aid process, and provide you with personal college and career advising to help you navigate the college process from day one to graduation.
To give employees a variety of options, Guild partners with a consortium of universities and learning providers, including Brandman University, Western Governors University, Bellevue University, and StraighterLine, in addition to offering custom content.
Benefits of partnering with Guild include:
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
What are Guild's guiding principles?
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.