Bachelor of Arts in Special Education (Grades K-12) –Online Program
Offered by: Western Governors University
College credits: 122
Course length: Competency-based courses; 6-month terms
By clicking the "Apply now" button, you will be directed to the general scholarship application form for the Denver Public Schools Paraprofessional Continuing Education Program, the first step on your way to a degree.
- Individuals who need a bachelor’s degree and want to become a certified special education teacher.
- Unlicensed teachers, substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
What You'll Learn
- Teacher Education Foundations
- Teacher Education Diversity
- Special Education
- Preclinical Experiences
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Elementary Education Methods
- Demonstration Teaching (practice teaching)
- English Composition
- College Algebra
- Elements of Effective Communication
- Survey of World History
- Health, Fitness, and Wellness
- Survey of United States History
- Introduction to Humanities
- Critical Thinking and Logic
- Integrated Natural Sciences
- Survey of United States Constitution and Government
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
WGU's online degree programs are designed to be affordable for hard-working adults with bills to pay.
- Federal Pell Grants, with up to $5,920 per year in grant aid
- Tuition assistance benefits from your employer
- The $2,500 American Opportunity Tax Credit
- Guild's tuition discount, and no out-of-state tuition costs
Each term is 6 months - for this degree, a full course load is 12 competency units (credit hours) per term.
It Depends On You.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Submit the DPS Scholarship Application
- Submit your scholarship application by clicking either the "Start Your Scholarship Application" button on the top of this page or the "Apply Now" button on any degree of interest.
- Principal Endorsement: Ask your principal (or school leader) to complete the Principal Endorsement Form on your behalf. (Assistant principals and deans are also accepted).
- Apply to Western Governors University
- Make sure to use the DPS code to waive your application fee—your Guild admissions advisor will provide you this code upon successful completion of the Scholarship Application.
- Once you apply, you’ll work with Western Governors University to complete your FAFSA, take a college readiness assessment, and submit all transcripts from prior college/university courses.
- Sign the Scholarship Agreement:
- Once you have been accepted to Western Governors University, you will be required to complete and sign a Scholarship Agreement Form.
Western Governors University is also very mission-driven. Created to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, Western Governors University’s mission has remained one of helping hardworking adults meet their educational goals and improve their career opportunities. To fulfill the mission, the founding governors also insisted that Western Governors University be affordable, flexible, and student-focused. Hence, Western Governors University strives to serve as many students as possible—including minorities, first-generation college students, those with modest incomes, and others whose lives or geographic locations do not allow them to attend traditional, campus-based colleges. Western Governors University has flourished into a national university, serving more than 67,000 students from all 50 states, yet remains non-bureaucratic and innovative. It continues to receive praise for its academic model and to enhance its reputation with employers for the emphasis on graduating highly competent professionals.
Western Governors University was the first exclusively online university to receive accreditation for its degree programs that lead to teacher licensure from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Western Governors University has Teachers College graduates working in all 50 states, and has been recognized by the White House as an example of what works in postsecondary education.
The NCATE accrediting team extensively reviewed the entire Western Governors University Teachers College curriculum to ensure that candidates have the knowledge and skills to be effective in helping all students learn. This involved intensive interviews with students, faculty, graduates, school district personnel, and education experts, as well as a review of Western Governors University student performance on national performance exams. An online teaching degree from Western Governors University tells employers that you're serious about success.
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.