By clicking the "Apply now" button, you will be directed to the general scholarship application form for the Denver Public Schools Paraprofessional Continuing Education Program, the first step on your way to a degree.
Who the Program is For
- Individuals with a considerable science background (geoscience-specific is helpful) who need a bachelor’s degree and want to become a high school earth science teacher.
- Unlicensed teachers, substitute teachers, career changers, retired military personnel, school paraprofessionals, and others who feel the call to teach.
- Individuals who have completed some college coursework or have applicable work experience.
- Individuals who can typically spend 15 or more hours per week on their studies.
What You'll Learn
Key Subject Areas
- Teacher Education Foundations
- Mathematics Content
- General Science Content
- Science Education
- Geosciences Content (Grades 5-12)
- Teacher Education Diversity
- Preclinical Experiences
- Instructional Planning and Presentation
- Demonstration Teaching (practice teaching)
- English Composition
- College Algebra
- Introduction to Humanities
- Survey of United States Constitution and Government
- Elements of Effective Communication
- Survey of United States History
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
- Federal Pell Grants, with up to $5,920 per year in grant aid
- Tuition assistance benefits from your employer
- The $2,500 American Opportunity Tax Credit
- Guild's tuition discount, and no out-of-state tuition costs
It Depends On You.
Pell Grants*, offered by the U.S. Government, provide students who qualify with up to $5,920, per year in grant aid. Unlike loans, grants do not need to be repaid.
The Lifelong Learning Credit (up to $2000) and the American Opportunity Tax Credit* (up to $2500) are both available annually to eligible U.S. students.
Guild negotiates reduced tuition with partner colleges and programs, giving you affordable options from the start.
Guild works with your employer to offer corporate tuition assistance to qualified employees.
Guild is committed to reduce the cost of higher education for hard-working adults. We'll help make an affordable path to move your education forward.
* Pell Grants are only available to eligible students in undergraduate degree programs & the American Opportunity Tax Credit is only available for eligible students in undergrad or master's degree programs. All other funding categories are available for all eligible students. Please check with your individual employer to verify your eligibility.
Guild is designed for working adults. With 100% online classes, you work and study when it’s most convenient for you.
Your team is here to support you through admissions, the financial aid process, and each of your classes
"My General Manager says that he's seen a lot of development and changes in how I manage... I would recommend this 10/10 to anyone."
Shania | Service Manager | Chipotle
Student in Guild's Management Training Program, starting her degree at CSU Global in 2017
"I want to graduate with a Bachelor's in Special Education before my oldest daughter graduates high school in 2020! My kids are my support and they think that mom going back to school is amazing!"
Chavonne | Paraprofessional | Denver Public Schools
B.A. in Special Education (K-12) at Western Governors University
"Guild’s programs and services are practical and transformative. I am very thankful for Guild's on-going support and advice."
Guild class alumna
San Jose, California
Frequently Asked Questions
- Submit the DPS Scholarship Application
- Submit your scholarship application by clicking either the "Start Your Scholarship Application" button on the top of this page or the "Apply Now" button on any degree of interest.
- Principal Endorsement: Ask your principal (or school leader) to complete the Principal Endorsement Form on your behalf. (Assistant principals and deans are also accepted).
- Apply to Western Governors University
- Make sure to use the DPS code to waive your application fee—your Guild admissions advisor will provide you this code upon successful completion of the Scholarship Application.
- Once you apply, you’ll work with Western Governors University to complete your FAFSA, take a college readiness assessment, and submit all transcripts from prior college/university courses.
- Sign the Scholarship Agreement:
- Once you have been accepted to Western Governors University, you will be required to complete and sign a Scholarship Agreement Form.
Western Governors University is also very mission-driven. Created to expand access to higher education through online, competency-based degree programs, Western Governors University’s mission has remained one of helping hardworking adults meet their educational goals and improve their career opportunities. To fulfill the mission, the founding governors also insisted that Western Governors University be affordable, flexible, and student-focused. Hence, Western Governors University strives to serve as many students as possible—including minorities, first-generation college students, those with modest incomes, and others whose lives or geographic locations do not allow them to attend traditional, campus-based colleges. Western Governors University has flourished into a national university, serving more than 67,000 students from all 50 states, yet remains non-bureaucratic and innovative. It continues to receive praise for its academic model and to enhance its reputation with employers for the emphasis on graduating highly competent professionals.
Western Governors University was the first exclusively online university to receive accreditation for its degree programs that lead to teacher licensure from the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). Western Governors University has Teachers College graduates working in all 50 states, and has been recognized by the White House as an example of what works in postsecondary education.
The NCATE accrediting team extensively reviewed the entire Western Governors University Teachers College curriculum to ensure that candidates have the knowledge and skills to be effective in helping all students learn. This involved intensive interviews with students, faculty, graduates, school district personnel, and education experts, as well as a review of Western Governors University student performance on national performance exams. An online teaching degree from Western Governors University tells employers that you're serious about success.
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.