Financial Accounting for Corporations powered by edX –Online Program
Offered by: University of Maryland University College
Course length: 8 weeks
NEXT COURSE STARTS ON Jun 4, 2018
Want to learn a new language and keep your finger on the pulse of business? Accounting is the language of business. Be among a small percentage of business professionals who can prepare, interpret, and analyze financial statements of corporations. You will find financial accountants anywhere from the accounting department to the positions of CEO and CFO.
In this course, part of the UMUC Accounting and Financial Management MicroMasters program, you will learn to prepare corporate financial statements in compliance with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and in conformance with the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s (FASB) generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
You will learn how the FASB creates new GAAP, how to research the FASB Accounting Standards Codification system, and how to prepare and analyze financial statements including the Income Statement, Comprehensive Statement of Income, Balance Sheet, Statement of Shareholder’s Equity, and Statement of Cash Flows. An overview of accounting theory provides a foundation for applying financial accounting concepts and principles to real business issues. The course is taught within the framework of the American Association of Certified Public Accountants’ Code of Professional Conduct.
The edX - Guild Experience:
- Full access to course & content components for extended time - though expected duration of courses vary, all students will have access to content for three months to ensure you can fit the course into your busy life
- Credential upon completion of each course - credentials matter today, to help you stay current at work, learn a new skill, or expand your professional growth
- Network of peers - connect with colleagues around the country in an easy-to-use forum to engage in professional and academic topics
- Community coach - professional coach right at your fingertips. Interact with with a Master's degree coach who provides 1:1 and group coaching to help you stay on track
- Weekly events - webinars, study sessions and virtual group coaching to discuss student-driven topics
- Resource hub - videos, articles, tracking tools and content around relevant content like time management, leadership development and leveraging credentials at work
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
- Tuition assistance benefits from your employer
- Guild's tuition discount, and no out-of-state tuition costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.