Cybersecurity Risk Management powered by edX –Online Program
Offered by: Rochester Institute of Technology
Course length: 8 weeks
NEXT COURSE STARTS ON Jun 5, 2018
Cybersecurity risk management guides a growing number of IT decisions. Cybersecurity risks continue to have critical impacts on overall IT risk modeling, assessment and mitigation.
In this course, you will learn about the general information security risk management framework and its practices and how to identify and model information security risks and apply both qualitative and quantitative risk assessment methods. Understanding this framework will enable you to articulate the business consequences of identified information security risks. These skills are essential for any successful information security professional.
The goal of this course is to teach students the risk management framework with both qualitative and quantitative assessment methods that concentrate on the information security (IS) aspect of IT risks. The relationship between the IT risk and business value will be discussed through several industry case studies.
First, you will learn about the principles of risk management and its three key elements: risk analysis, risk assessment and risk mitigation. You will learn to identify information security related threats, vulnerability, determine the risk level, define controls and safeguards, and conduct cost-benefit analysis or business impact analysis.
Second, we will introduce the qualitative and quantitative frameworks and discuss the differences between these two frameworks. You will learn the details of how to apply these frameworks in assessing information security risk.
Third, we will extend the quantitative framework with data mining and machine learning approaches that are applicable for data-driven risk analytics. You will explore the intersection of information security, big data and artificial intelligence.
Finally, you will analyze a series of extended case studies, which will help you to comprehend and generalize the principles, frameworks and analytical methods in actual examples.
This offering is part of the RITx Cybersecurity MicroMasters Program that prepares students to enter and advance in the field of computing security.
The edX - Guild Experience:
- Full access to course & content components for extended time - though expected duration of courses vary, all students will have access to content for three months to ensure you can fit the course into your busy life
- Credential upon completion of each course - credentials matter today, to help you stay current at work, learn a new skill, or expand your professional growth
- Network of peers - connect with colleagues around the country in an easy-to-use forum to engage in professional and academic topics
- Community coach - professional coach right at your fingertips. Interact with with a Master's degree coach who provides 1:1 and group coaching to help you stay on track
- Weekly events - webinars, study sessions and virtual group coaching to discuss student-driven topics
- Resource hub - videos, articles, tracking tools and content around relevant content like time management, leadership development and leveraging credentials at work
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
- Tuition assistance benefits from your employer
- Guild's tuition discount, and no out-of-state tuition costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.