Cybersecurity Capstone powered by edX –Online Program
Offered by: Rochester Institute of Technology
Course length: 8 weeks
NEXT COURSE STARTS ON Aug 7, 2018
The Cybersecurity Capstone is specifically designed to provide a platform for verified learners to practice the hands-on cybersecurity skills and techniques studied in the courses of the RITx Cybersecurity MicroMasters program. It also includes the evaluation of the competencies and performance tasks that enable professional cybersecurity success.
Before enrolling in the Cybersecurity Capstone, you must successfully complete and pass the four courses in the RITx Cybersecurity MicroMasters program as a verified learner. Upon successful completion of the Cybersecurity Capstone, you will receive the Cybersecurity MicroMasters certificate.
During the Cybersecurity Capstone, you will perform a set of hands-on lab exercises in a web-based virtual environment. Below are the requirements to successfully access the virtual environment:
- A desktop or laptop computer with a webcam
- Minimal network latency to RIT's Main Campus (200ms or less). To test latency, ping 126.96.36.199 or 188.8.131.52
The areas of hands-on lab activities include, but are not limited to:
- basic systems and network services such as firewall, DNS, DHCP, Wireshark
- digital forensics investigation with tools such as Encase, FTK, and Volatility Framework
- network security related tools such as port scanning, Snort, and Metasploit, etc.
The lab activities will be assessed by sets of questions, lab reports, and a proctored exam using the edX platform.
This course is part of a MicroMasters program. If you complete all courses in the MicroMasters program in 2018, GE will guarantee you an interview in Boston for an internship or full-time role. Open to Massachusetts residents only.
The edX - Guild Experience:
- Full access to course & content components for extended time - though expected duration of courses vary, all students will have access to content for three months to ensure you can fit the course into your busy life
- Credential upon completion of each course - credentials matter today, to help you stay current at work, learn a new skill, or expand your professional growth
- Network of peers - connect with colleagues around the country in an easy-to-use forum to engage in professional and academic topics
- Community coach - professional coach right at your fingertips. Interact with with a Master's degree coach who provides 1:1 and group coaching to help you stay on track
- Weekly events - webinars, study sessions and virtual group coaching to discuss student-driven topics
- Resource hub - videos, articles, tracking tools and content around relevant content like time management, leadership development and leveraging credentials at work
Cost and Schedule
Guild provides reduced cost education for working adults. We’ll help you have an affordable path to move your education forward.
- Tuition assistance benefits from your employer
- Guild's tuition discount, and no out-of-state tuition costs.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A path to finish your degree or take graduate courses, at little to no cost
- A personal college and career adviser to help you navigate programs and offerings
- Online classes that allow you to work at your own pace
- Relevant classes and programs designed to help you advance in your career
- Credit recognition for past college credits and corporate credits towards your degrees
- Students first: We're here to help you, and you come first in our world. In exchange, we expect you give your all and to support your fellow classmates.
- We learn best by doing: Experimentation, learning by doing, feedback and reflection lay at the core of every learning experience with Guild.
- Feedback makes us better, in fact, it’s a gift: Practice only makes perfect when we get feedback on how to improve.
- Reflection is a need-to-have, not a nice-to-have: Reflection allows us to digest the learnings and feedback we’ve received.
- Community matters: We’re all in this together and we expect all Guild members to appreciate the role we play in each other’s learning experience.